First Try

Since the music competition where the web application will be put into use is approaching, I am more focused on deployment during this week. At the end of last week, I was done with developing the web application based on the client’s requirements.   I also set up a virtual machine using virtualbox on my personal laptop. The reason for this is that the current operating system I’m using is Windows, while Linux OS is better suited for development purposes. Read more…

Gearing Up

At the beginning of the week, my supervisor showed me the way to set up the previous version of the web application that I am working on. To summarise the whole process, I have to follow a few steps: Import a .tsv input file into the database, Set up a local server network to use the admin interface, Set up another local server network to use the vuejs interface. However, we encountered some difficulties when importing the .tsv file and Read more…

Photo by Charles Deluvio 🇵🇭🇨🇦 on Unsplash

Hands-On Work

This is my second week of internship at Aeste. Last week, I spent most of my time learning a JavaScript framework — Vue which is essential in developing reactive web applications. This week, I’ll be applying the knowledge in practical, which I believe is the way for me to improve! As a brief context, my task in this internship is to work on a web application. This web application handles the scoring system of a music competition. The application is Read more…

Ready, Get Set, Go!

“The only way to grow is to step out of your comfort zone.” I am Kai Jun and I am currently pursuing a degree in Electronics and Computer Science. This is my first week as an intern in Aeste and I am tasked to develop a web application during my eight weeks internship period.   Previously, I barely have any exposure in the real-world software development industry, with my knowledge in this field all obtained academically. I always feel that Read more…

Photo by Brooke Cagle on Unsplash
Photo by Fabian Grohs on Unsplash

End of the Line

I spent most of the time this week deploying two of our projects, P3 and S3. I started off with P3 first, since it was one of the previous projects where I contributed to its development. But while testing out the deployment, some bugs were already discovered. This is bad, since I am short of time. Regardless, I made the most out of my time left trying to fix the more severe ones. Dr Shawn also gave me some suggestions Read more…

Another Deployment

I hoped on back to the certificate management application project again this week, to do some cleanup, adding a bit of documentation and test its deployment using FastCGI as well. Fortunately, the application still works as expected when deployed as a FastCGI process. We tested it out with the entire flow for individual certificates, from buying a new subscription on the actual WooCommerce store, to downloading the PKCS#12 using the link provided in an email sent by the application. We Read more…

Photo by John Salvino on Unsplash
Photo by Fabian Grohs on Unsplash

Up and Ready to Go

Continuing on from last week, I managed to finish up what I have left to do, i.e putting the participant’s contact email in the TSV output as well as testing out the POP3 implementation. Fortunately, everything went as expected. However, there were a few more additions that needed to be done for CRS. One of it includes having to place quotes around each participant’s NRIC number. This is because when the TSV file gets imported into a spreadsheet program such Read more…

Going back to where I started

This week I hoped on back into a project that I did during my internship here, i.e the Competition Registration System (CRS). Basically, some changes and enhancements are needed to be made, and the registration period for the competition starts next month. Some enhancements include splitting up the composer’s name and the repertoire to two separate text fields instead of one, since a lot of registrants forgot to put the composer’s name last year. Last year’s registration also had the Read more…

Photo by Larisa Birta on Unsplash

Misfortune with Windows

Just as I was continuing to test my current server application, I bumped into another problem. This time it’s a little tricky, as it is something that only happens to Windows, while the other operating systems I tested (i.e Linux and Mac OS) worked perfectly fined. The problem this time concerns renewed certificates. In such cases, the server application only sends back a renewed PEM certificate, since the corresponding private key would have been bundled into a PKCS#12 for first Read more…

Week Twelve: Goodbye

This is my twelfth and final week as an intern at Aeste Works. Continuing from last week, I was getting bandwidth and network measurements for only 1 interval after connecting to the TCP iperf server on the default TCP port. Dr Shawn came to advise and review my code to see what could cause this behavior and found that sys_now function which returns the current time in milliseconds to perform TCP house-keeping tasks might be the reason why. The sys_now function Read more…

Photo by Fabian Grohs on Unsplash