GoAccess

I have discovered this useful tool for web-server log analysis – GoAccess. It is a pretty nifty tool and shows various information collated from a typical NCSA log file produced by most web-servers. This tool came in handy recently, particularly when trouble-shooting specific customer complaints about a service that we Read more…

Photo by Giorgio Tomassetti on Unsplash

Ninth Week Updates

A bug has arose from testing the code for computing the final results of the contestants. It had to do with not being able to receive all the documents in the database. After investigating it further, I discovered there was a default limit set on the number of documents returned. Read more…

Photo by Vojtech Bruzek on Unsplash

Wrapping Up

This week was spent entirely on debugging and testing to ensure that the final interface would be as seamless and optimal as possible. While writing my code I had overlooked some finer details with regards to how the data would change between interfaces when going from one role to another Read more…

Generating Infographics

To provide more value for the candidates in the competition, my task this week was to generate graphs which will be sent to them by email, that depict how well they did in relation to others. I started with using a TSV parser to pass the spreadsheet I generated earlier Read more…

Just in Time?

This week went busier than any other in my internship so far. Since the start of the week till the very end I was constantly involved with one task or another. Having finished the final interface as per the previous design, I began wrapping up by adding the final touches. Read more…

Seventh Week Updates

During the seventh week, I made some modifications to the program for generating the PDF and spreadsheet for the competition results, such as including more data per page and adding date to the PDF. Next I tried finding a suitable library for producing some charts that can reveal useful information Read more…

Generating TSV and PDF files

My current tasks involve generating a spreadsheet and a PDF file from the database. To create the .tsv file, I opened a new file and wrote into it details of the players and performances of the database. I first wrote into the file the headers of the spreadsheet. Next I Read more…

Photo by Vojtech Bruzek on Unsplash

Pressing Brakes

This week was rather unproductive in the sense that I made no apparent progress towards any of my designs. But saying this whole week was a waste wouldn’t be accurate either as I have made some progress, albeit in a different sense. Creating a small Single Page Application with a Read more…