Report Card

I have been involved with generating the report cards for participants of a competition. The report card will contain the candidate’s details as well as graphs that gives them a sense of how well they did in their venue, in their category, or among those who play the same instrument. Read more…

Tenth Week Updates

This week, I continued working on the report card which is to be sent to the participants. I used a CSV parser to parse the spreadsheet that holds the competition data. Dr Shawn has advised me to use a template to render the contents of the PDF in order to Read more…

Photo by Giorgio Tomassetti on Unsplash

Ninth Week Updates

A bug has arose from testing the code for computing the final results of the contestants. It had to do with not being able to receive all the documents in the database. After investigating it further, I discovered there was a default limit set on the number of documents returned. Read more…

Generating Infographics

To provide more value for the candidates in the competition, my task this week was to generate graphs which will be sent to them by email, that depict how well they did in relation to others. I started with using a TSV parser to pass the spreadsheet I generated earlier Read more…

Seventh Week Updates

During the seventh week, I made some modifications to the program for generating the PDF and spreadsheet for the competition results, such as including more data per page and adding date to the PDF. Next I tried finding a suitable library for producing some charts that can reveal useful information Read more…

Generating TSV and PDF files

My current tasks involve generating a spreadsheet and a PDF file from the database. To create the .tsv file, I opened a new file and wrote into it details of the players and performances of the database. I first wrote into the file the headers of the spreadsheet. Next I Read more…

Photo by Charles Deluvio πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ on Unsplash

Completing ServerApplication

Next in ServerApplication, I worked on generating the result documents. To generate the result document ID, Poco::UUIDGenerator is used. This UUID cannot be randomly generated, otherwise additional unwanted result documents could be created. With the createFromName() member function, the UUID created is set to be dependent on the performance ID. Read more…

Deploying ServerApplication

The fourth week saw me working on the ServerApplication from the Poco library. This system I am working on is a background process that will monitor and wait for the appropriate changes before actions are taken. First, I worked on pulling changes corresponding to events while ignoring other types of Read more…

Photo by Charles Deluvio πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ on Unsplash

Third Week Updates

For the third week, I start with familiarizing myself with carrying out create, read, update and delete operations on the CouchDB database. This involves sending HTTP requests using the Poco library. I learnt to use the “If-Match” header to retrieve a document’s revision so that I can perform update operations Read more…

Photo by Charles Deluvio πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ on Unsplash

Continuing with Poco

During the second week, I worked on my assigned project and also received kind guidance from Dr Shawn whenever I’m stuck. My project involves processing final scores of participants in a competition. This calls for pulling data from a CouchDB database after all the marks by judges are dialed in, Read more…