This week I finished up the Rx portion of the UART device that follows the RS232 protocol. I was able to implement it onto the Spartan3 board.
When I first tested it, I was a little confused because I didnt know that the letters were represented in ASCII code. My colleague Radek explained it to me. I am going to work on the Tx portion of the UART.
I think that for the Tx part, I am going to design it very similar to the RX portion. In the sense that I will have a transmission register that receives the data using the wishbone protocol and sends data when ready.
I believe that the Tx and Rx transmission and receiving registers are different. However, I am going to implement them in the same module.
Wish Me Luck!